This day trip from Quito takes you to two Ecuadorian cities famous for their handicrafts: Otavalo and Cotacachi. Explore the indigenous markets and learn the ancient secrets of leatherworking.
Otavalo & Cotacachi Markets Tour Itinerary
After being picked up from your hotel or the meeting point, you'll leave Quito behind and head north on the Pan-American Highway, reaching Cayambe, an Andean province nestled in the valley and surrounded by high mountains.
You'll make a stop along your route to taste traditional Ecuadorian bizcocho de Cayambe, wood-oven baked pastries accompanied by a mozzarella-style soft cheese or dulce de leche - a delicious treat!
With happy taste buds, your trip will continue, stopping at the "Miralago" viewpoint, from which you'll enjoy incredible panoramic views over San Pablo Lake, the Imbabura volcano, and the surrounding villages.
The tour will then arrive at Otavalo, a city famous worldwide for its indigenous market. Here, you'll be offered the option between staying and spending the rest of your day in Otavalo or continuing on the route to Cotacachi. If you remain in Otavalo, you'll be able to explore the city at your own pace, discovering its amazing cultural diversity and losing yourself in the vibrant Plaza de los Ponchos, also known as the Mercado de Otavalo.
If you prefer to visit Cotacachi, you'll make a stop along the route to visit a traditional workshop in Peguche where Andean musical instruments are made. You'll be left speechless by the sheer number of handcrafted wind, string and percussion instruments that decorate the walls.
Having arrived in Cotacachi, you'll have free time to have lunch, visit the town, and explore its fascinating leather and wool shops. Discover the great importance of leatherwork for the Ecuadorian economy.
After visiting Cotacachi, you'll return to Otavalo to pick up those who stayed behind. The bus will wait at the arranged meeting point ready for the return to hotels in Quito.
Hotel pick up
When making your reservation, you'll be asked to choose between including pick up from your hotel in Quito, or making your own way to the meeting point at the HOTEL KAIA (Valladolid N24-742 and Julio Zaldumbide).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
|Tour without pick up||
|Tour with pick up||
Tour without pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
Tour with pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off (optional).
English speaking guide.
Tasting of bizcochos de Cayambe.
Visit to Peguche traditional instrument making workshop.
Visit to Cotacachi (optional).
When to book?
You can book up to the start time, as long as there are places remaining. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.